Resources & Information

Common questions and experiences from homeowners guide this resource list. In general, for home maintenance topics, an internet search and YouTube videos are a great place to start. For non-emergency financial, physical & mental health, childcare, employment, taxes, etc. is a 24/7 resource.  Please share additional resources to This list is not exhaustive, and new resources may develop and some may expire.

Financial Counseling & Budgeting

Whether you want to get out of debt or plan for your future, a budget and assistance from a financial counselor can get you there. When you own a home, house upkeep and maintenance emergencies are two new line items to add to your savings budget.

Community Action Duluth offers a free class called Common Cents and Integrated Coaching Program for credit building, budgeting, asset building, and debt reduction. Call (218) 726-1665. Lutheran Social Services provides free financial counseling. Get in better financial shape with these free resources.

As per your Land Lease, you are responsible for paying all taxes and assessments associated with your property. Why the homeowner is responsible for paying the property taxes is because the homeowner gets the benefit, “quiet enjoyment” of the land; One Roof does not per Article 4.7 of your Land Lease Agreement.

Typically, property taxes will be escrowed with your mortgage and paid by your mortgage holder. If you pay off your mortgage, you will need to make plans to save this money throughout the year and pay the property taxes on your own.

As with all homeowners, the interest portion of your mortgage payment is tax deductible. If you itemize your federal income taxes, the property taxes that are paid are also tax deductible.

Be sure to apply for a Property Tax Refund    

Check your Homestead Status on your property tax statement. If it does not say “Homestead”, contact the county accessor to get this changed which will give you a reduction on your property taxes.

St. Louis County

Carlton County

Lake County

Cook County

Then apply for the Homestead Credit

If you or your spouse is 65 years of age or older, check if you qualify for Property Tax Deferral for Senior Citizens

  • Notify One Roof. Let us know if you are at risk of foreclosure or struggling to pay bills. We may have resources to help.  
  • Connect with a HUD-approved housing counselor. This is especially important if you are facing foreclosure. HUD-approved housing counselors provide free, unbiased, confidential services to help homeowners make choices to address their housing needs. Lutheran Social Services is our local HUD-approved housing counseling organization. Call (888) 577-2227 or email
  • Contact your mortgage servicer to discuss what options may be available to you to avoid foreclosure. You can learn more at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
  • If you are behind on your mortgage due to an inpatient or residential stay of 90 days or less  for the treatment of serious mental illness or Substance Use Disorder, contact The Arc Minnesota about their Crisis Housing Assistance Program.
  • Have you ever thought about adding solar panels to your home? Since 2021, 17 One Roof Community Land Trust homeowners have installed solar with the assistance of the nonprofit organizations Solar United Neighbors and MN Interfaith Power & Light. You can read news stories about those here and here.
  • If you’re curious about going solar but don’t know where to start, join the Duluth and Arrowhead Solar Co-op by signing up here and watching a Solar 101 webinar that covers the basics of solar, financing, and tax incentives. You’ll also meet Solar United Neighbors’ solar experts, learn how the solar co-op works to make going solar easier and more affordable, and get your solar questions answered. The solar co-op is free to join and there is no obligation. Contact Bobby King at Solar United Neighbors at (612) 293-7267 or for more info.
  • If your household earns at or below 50% of Minnesota’s State Median Income, the solar co-op may be able to help you tap into grants that cover some or all of the cost of going solar. If you meet this guideline and are interested in going solar, contact Brooke Tapp at or by phone at (218) 206-9316.
  • CERTs –
  • Rewiring America –
  • Use the IRA calculator tool to get an idea what rebates and incentives your household could qualify for.
  • MN Interfaith Power & Light is an advocate for energy justice and solutions alongside your neighbors and a great resource for information on air source heat pumps.
  • Income-eligible households can apply for Energy Assistance Program (EAP) online or contact AEOA for an application. For those within the City of Duluth, AEOA can be contacted at (218) 623-3011. Those outside of Duluth can reach AEOA at (800) 662-5711.
  • As part of the EAP application, you can also select your interest in receiving weatherization services. 
  • If you are in the MN Power service area and qualify for EAP, you are eligible for an electric bill discount through MN Power’s CARE Program. To apply:
    • Complete your LIHEAP application with AEOA at the contact information above.
    • Fill out the CARE application online  or call a CARE Representative at (218) 355-3500. 
  • AEOA offers weatherization for income-eligible residents of Lake, Cook and St. Louis counties.
  • In the MN Power service area, all households can receive energy information and expert energy guidance. You’ll receive energy-saving products and a detailed action plan to conserve energy in your daily activities at home. Learn more at
  • Ecolibrium3 is a nonprofit organization providing home assessments for Duluth residents of all incomes, including renters. Rebates are available to help cover the cost of the analysis. Learn more at
  • For Cook County residents, Mark Senty is the local energy auditor. Request an audit through his website. You can also contact the Cook County Local Energy Project to receive assistance on actualizing all other energy incentives and rebates.
  • Arrowhead Electric customers: 
  • Minnesota Energy Resource customers can take advantage of online energy analysis tools and rebates. 
  • Cooperative Light & Power customers: 
  • Guide for Northern Gardeners 
  • Homeowner Landscaping Resources 
  • Lawns to Legumes grant
  • Trees
    • If a tree is touching power lines, contact your power company. Minnesota Power has a routine vegetation maintenance cycle. They trim and/or remove vegetation that interferes with electric facilities.
    • If trees at your Community Land Trust home are growing into power lines, and it appears that the trees must be cut, please call Minnesota Power at 1-800-228-4966. A Minnesota Power representative will visit the property and evaluate the trees for trimming or removal that interfere with electric lines. In some cases Minnesota Power may cut the tree down, trim branches or offer to drop the customer service wire so that they or a contractor can perform the work. Minnesota Power does not clean up any type of tree debris for this work.
    • If a tree has been damaged in some manner (storm, disease, fire) Minnesota Power may cut the tree down, trim branches or remove the hazard to restore electric service. Minnesota Power does not clean up any tree debris. Cleanup is the responsibility of the customer that owns the tree. Call the CLT Stewardship Associate if you need a list of tree service companies.

Making some renovations to your home and signing up for services can help you remain in your home. Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity has put together a guide for Aging In Place that you can download for free on their website. Share this guide with your loved ones and contractors. Western Lake Superior Habitat for Humanity serves Carlton, South St. Louis, Lake and Cook counties with their Age In Place program. Other local services include Age Well Arrowhead (a paid service): 218-623-7800 and Senior Linkage Line (information line): 800-333-2433

DULUTH, MN 55805

Office Hours:

*In-person appointments and office visits are by appointment only.  Please call 727-5372 to schedule an appointment!

Phone: (218) 727-5372

Fax: (218) 727-9368


One Roof Community Housing Copyright 2021
Skip to content